All cottages at Valley Lakes (was called Curragh Lake Cottages) in the Southern Drakensberg (close to Underberg) are fully equipped self catering units with linen included, just bring your own towels.
Valley Lakes can now also host weddings and conferences in their stunning setting.
The kitchen is equipped with an electric stove, microwave and fridge / freezer, plus all crockery, cutlery and utensils. Braai facilities are provided but bring your charcoal. Cosy fireplaces give warmth and companionship on chilly winter evenings. You may even be lucky enough to experience a snow storm during Winter months. There are also outdoor fire pits and a Weber braai. The cottages are serviced daily.
Cottages 1, 2 and 3: Each cottage can sleep up to nine people. Downstairs are two double bedrooms, that can be configured to two twin beds. There are an additional four beds situated on a mezzanine loft level in a dormitory type fashion.
Pear Tree Cottage: Pear Tree Cottage is situated along the Bushmen’s Nek Road after 13km after dirt road travel. It is a great getaway if you are wanting to escape the bustle of the city and is located on an operational dairy farm. It is newly renovated and has one double bedroom and another bedroom with two single beds. It also has a fire place, Weber Braai etc and amazing views.
Activities at Curragh Lake:
- They are home to an abundance of bird life and wildlife. Spot the otters, rhebuck and reidbuck and fish eagles.
- Choose to hike up Taba Msilo behind you, for a panoramic view of our mighty Southern Drakensberg, a part of the newly proclaimed world heritage site or gently stroll in the veld with a wealth of wild flowers.
- Bring your tubes for river fun, and mountain bikes to ride the farm roads. Sorry, no quads or motor bikes. They have spectacular trails to follow.
- Bring your passports and 4×4 up the awesome Sani Pass, or organized tours are available from Underberg. Underberg also has a golf course, bowls, tennis and squash only 30km away.
- Finally, fish for their naturally spawned, rainbow and brown trout on their own 15kms of river and 101 hectares lake. There is an extra charge for this, and fly-fishing tackle only is allowed. Bring your own kick-craft or float tubes. They also hire boats if you have none. No power boats, please.
- They also have a lovely and intimate function center which can seat 25 to 30 dinner guests, along with ablution facilities and a kitchen. The views are absolutely amazing.